Subject: Re: xterm termcap and reboot
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tony Houghton <tonyh@tcp.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/22/1998 22:33:16
In message <4e8b8a2a48%tonyh@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>
          Tony Houghton <tonyh@tcp.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm having problems with termcap under X. Some programs are complaining
> that they can't find a termcap entry, irc-II can't find one "for
> network" and gives up (but it works on the console), joe says something
> that doesn't stay put long enough to read because it carries on OK.
>
> I tried adding some line to /usr/X11R6.3/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm as
> suggested by the termcap man page, but it didn't seem to take effect
> when I restarted X. It began with *term and ended : xterm but I can't
> remember exactly what it was because I'm now in RISC OS and according to
> UnixFS I never edited that file!

OK, what I had was:

*termName: xterm

(from the xterm manpage, not the termcap one). But it still doesn't seem
to have helped.

I've just found out that little bit more (NetBSD can be more absorbing
than an adventure game ;)) and realised that the problem boils down to
$TERM being set to "network" for each xterm I start from the fvwm
background menu. I can't find any config file to change this. I've even
resorted to searching the whole FS for occurences of TERM, but I
couldn't find anything relevant.

Also, one of the reasons I wanted to run IRC-II in X was so that it can
have each virtual window in a separate xterm, but when I try it
complains that it can't do it. Is the basic xterm entry not
sophisticated enough?

--
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/