Subject: Re: Installing sets
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marc Warne <marc@alphapro.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/20/1998 22:05:10
n message <19980319.230358.45@xx1548.thefree.net> you wrote:

> In message <6cdff72848%marc@alphapro.demon.co.uk> you wrote:
>
> > Hi!
>
> Hi,

Hows the weather over there then?

> > I've been trying to insta ll the RiscBSD sets from the Risc Disc 3, but
> > have only had limited success. Most of the sets install (except ones
> > which say 'install x11base before this'), except for x11base itself :-(
> > When I try and install this, a load of errors with 'directory not found'
> > in it. It's trying to install the things to a valid directory, but it
> > doesn't think it's there and thinks it's trying to copy the file to a
> > non-existant place :-(
>
> Try doing the installs while viewing files installed (it's an option
> after selecting the sets...)  This will hopefully let you see which
> files/dirs it can't do.

I knew what it couldn't do, but didn't know why. I've fixed it now by
doing a 'mkdir /usr/X11', and therefore have installed all the sets :-)

> > Also, should I be getting some 'basename: not found' errors while
> > installing the sets?
>
> Not heard of this before.

Hmm...any idea what it could be about?

> > Also (again) - when booting up RiscBSD on a not-fully-installed system,
> > it seems to mount wd0a as root_device on /. I can't seem to umount this
> > and re-mount wd0a on /mnt. Anyone know why?
>
> The mount command is found on the root-device, if you umount it then you
> can't execute the mount command.

Is there a 'remount' command or something which can change root_device
to mnt?

> > Sorry for asking perhaps simple questions!
>
> It's what the list is here for.

And it's been very helpful! Thanks! :-)

Anyone know why I /have/ to unplug my ICS IDE device (IDEFS v.3.21,
podule v.6) in order to run RiscBSD?

All the best,

        Marc Warne
  / /\/\         \ e-mail: marc@alphapro.demon.co.uk  \-IRC #acorn meet-.