Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.2-Beta
To: Marc Theisen <arcmt@uni-koblenz.de>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/15/1998 17:05:39
--------------BA6AA544444551904C833629

Marc Theisen wrote:

> 1. X-performance
>
> The Xarm-Server in 1.2-Beta (Version 27, I think) was a bit flaky
> when dragging windows around, hast this been improved?

It's a lot more stable, but the performance still isn't great.

> 2. I/O-performance
>
> Has the speed of disk-transfer been improved? Under RISC-OS 3.7
> my Quantum 2.1 GB reaches 2MB/sec, but under BSD only about 650 KB/sec.

Dunno. The best way to guage raw performance is something like
	dd if=/dev/rwd0c of=/dev/null bs=1m count=64
What does that return? In any case, I don't think performance has gone
up that much, but I could be mistaken.

> 2. What about shared libraries?
>
> Are the binaries still in the size range of some Megabytes, even
> simple commands like cp, top, ...?

No, libraries are now shared:

> neil$ ls -l `which cp`
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  77824 Aug 28  1997 /bin/cp
> neil$ ls -l `which top`
> -rwxr-sr-x  1 bin  kmem  40960 Jul 21  1997 /usr/local/bin/top

> 3. StrongARM-Support
>
> What about the frequent cache-flushings every few seconds? Has the
> kernel been adapted to StrongARM?

Caches still need to be flushed frequently, though netbsd-current should
be better than 1.2. Mark still also has some other patches to the
pmap/vm_machdep stuff waiting to be merged in. Overall, performance is
still bad, but should be a big improvement on before.

	Neil

--
Neil A. Carson   Business development, Causality and Chalice Technology
Causality:       WWW: http://www.causality.com email: neil@causality.com

begin:          vcard
fn:             Neil A. Carson
n:              Carson;Neil A.