Subject: Re: Stuff
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/11/1998 10:23:33
On Mar 10, 10:42pm, gARetH baBB wrote:
> Subject: Stuff
> Probably being very naive, but ...
>
> Why is it deemed you have 2 (3 inc swap) partitions, one for / and one for
> /usr - is there anything wrong with having one big one which covers
> everything in / ?

You can have everything in one partition if you like. Its up to you. One
advantage of a small / partition is that if something goes horribly wrong with
your boot sequence and you need to come up in single user mode it is faster if
you only need to fsck the / partition.

> Why does UnixFS claim 4.5M of RMA when you start it up ?!

UnixFS is not intended to be a smoothly polished fully-fledged filing system.
To turn it into one would be a major undertaking and would require more time
than we have available to spend on it. It may be annoying that it takes lots of
memory but if it would take too much time to figure out why and reduce it then
it isn't worth doing. I'm sure Scott will look and see whether it is obvious
what it is being used for.

> I know it's not release but why does 1.3 have so many install files in notes
> with slight (but confusing) variations in procedure ?

Please let us know any problems with the documentation so we can fix them.

> Where are the latest kernels stored ?

At the moment I think there are still problems with the ftp site. Presumably
there will be an announcement at some point about what is happening to it.

> [is there a problem with 800 x 600 ? I get crap at the bottom of the screen]

600 is not exactly divisible by 16 so you get half a line left over which the
console forgets about. Its not particularly pretty but it isn't harmful either.
The new console code doesn't suffer from this problem.

Cheers

Rob