Subject: Re: Installing 1.3...
To: Alisdair McDiarmid <alisdair@illusion.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/08/1998 14:28:46
On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:

> I'm about to try to install NetBSD 1.3 for the first time.
>
> I've downloaded the following files from ftp.netbsd.org:
try ftp.uk.netbsd.org it's quicker ;)
>  base.tgz
>  comp.tgz
>  etc.tgz
>  games.tgz
>  loader.arc
>  man.tgz
>  misc.tgz
>  text.tgz
>  rpcinst [kernel]
>  voyager [kernel]

Looks to be about right.

> Are there any other files I need/want?

X isn't included in this, if you want X you'll need to get it from
ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk in /pub/acorn/RiscBSD/1.3-alpha or a similair dir.

> Can I install on the remaining unpartitioned section of my IDE drive
> (which is on the new Baildon DMA interface) or will I have to use my ADFS
> drive?

I don't know if the baildon interface is supported yet, so you're probably
safer playing with the ADFS drive.

> Is there an installation guide I should follow? [Bear in mind the fact
> that I know very little about Unix, and almost nothing about NetBSD]

There are some install guide on ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk.  They're not very
uptodate with 1.3, if you have any problems ask on this list, and someone
will probably know.

Cheers,
Chris