Subject: Re: ATAPI CDROMs under v1.3, podulebus LKMs
From: None <Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/01/1998 21:41:42
> Out of curiosity, if this the reason why my version of 1.3a can't
> install onto my RapIDE32 partitioned IDE hard disk off the 1.3a CD ROM =
> bought at the show?

IIRC is ATAPI just a SCSI-light variant done over the IDE bus. Probably =

similar to the PPA for Iomega Zip drives, so this should not have to do =

something with
RapIDE32 problems.
I guess the soft-interface (ATAPI) is now a litte bit incompatible to our=
 wdc =

driver. I think it is time to fix this now, otherwise a CDROM distributio=
n of =

RiscBSD does not make much sense.

Just as a hint: Shouldn't the whole 2n-level podulebus stuff like SCSI =

drivers, ethernet card drivers etc. be made as LKM ?
This is IMHO a better solution then to compile everything into the kernel=
 or =

force the user to build custom kernels.
The manufacturer of the cards could then shipp their hardware with the Ri=
scBSD =

driver and it is very plug-and-play alike.

Ciao, Peter.