Subject: Re: Which linux is better to use
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: paul <pwain@nc.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/01/1998 01:27:58
--------------716D1D9B745119C682D1B119

ALiddle101 wrote:

> I have searched the internet and found that there are three different types of
> linux systems which can run on the Acorns

You mean UNIX surely...

> NetBSD
> Arm linux
> and RiscBSD
>
> which one is the best one to use?

As Mark said you really need to avoid an advocacy flame war on this but:

1) NetBSD is the same as RiscBSD except RiscBSD is tm'ed Causality and is the
'commercial' version of NetBSD (kind of like NCOS is Network Computer Inc's tm'ed
version of various OSes including NetBSD and RiscOS).

2) Linux and NetBSD (NetBSD include RiscBSD/NetBSDarm32) are aimed at different
types of users

3) Licenses differ on Linux and NetBSD (GNU copyleft vs. BSD licensing).

4) Do you want up to date sources (low blow I know Russ :)

Basically just pick one, go with it if it works for you and if it doesn't see if
another does and erm, dont complain too much :)

Paul

--------------716D1D9B745119C682D1B119

begin:          vcard
fn:             Paul Wain
n:              Wain;Paul
org:            Network Computer Inc.
adr:            1000 Bridge Parkway;;;Redwood City;CA;94065;USA
email;internet: pwain@nc.com
title:          OS Development Engr.
tel;work:       +1 650 631 4628
tel;fax:        +1 650 631 4680