Subject: Re: joe display problem
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/17/1998 16:42:28
On Feb 13,  7:29pm, Tony Houghton wrote:
> Subject: joe display problem
> I installed 1.3 from ftp.netbsd.org, and once I'd replaced the compiler
> and installed the patches from 1.3a I compiled joe for myself.
> Unfortunately it sometimes corrupts the display at a character level,
> ie it plots whole characters in the wrong place rather than just pixels
> in the wrong place. This happens intermittently if I insert characters
> at the beginning of lines, but all the time when using Page Down.
>
> I compiled with the default options. I've also edited /etc/ttys and
> changed all the vt100's to vt220's because they say the console's
> supposed to work better as vt220. Am I doing something wrong (quite
> likely) or is there a bug?

This is multiple bugs.

I assume you're using the old console because you haven't said otherwise and as
far as I know those bugs are fixed in the new one.

Some of the problems with the old console are fundamental to the way it is
designed and whilst it might be possible to hack a few things I don't think
there is much that can be done apart from for me to hurry up with the new
console (latest version binaries are on monet.me.ic.ac.uk in the /pub/vide
directory - make sure you read the README - I did a kernel source merge for
Mark a while back but I doubt its checked into current yet). Xarm-34 (also on
the monet ftp site) should auto-detect which console you are running. ANYTHING
you don't like about the new console should be reported to me - don't assume
I've already noticed it. I am compiling a bug/job list...

Cheers

Rob