Subject: Assembly version of netinet/in_cksum.c
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Clifford <paul@plasma.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/14/1998 13:10:02
I took a peek at the docs/TODO list yesterday and noticed the request for an
assembly version of in_cksum.c.  Since it was a relatively small function I
thought I'd have a go, and a few reboots later I've now got a nicely
optimised ARM code version.  I've tested it as thoroughly as I know how
(ping, rlogin, telnet, ftp, running X applications remotely) and all seems
fine, but I'm not sure what to do with it now :)  Should I be uploading it
somewhere, sending it to someone, etc...?

Incidentally, while testing the code I noticed that with a packet size of
around 32500 the ping response times to localhost seem to alternate between
about 0.009 and about 9.800.  A few 100 bytes less and the response times are
all around 0.009, and a few hundred more and they're all in the 9.8's.  I
know practically nothing about the inner workings of the networking code but
it struck me as a little odd that there was such a sudden leap and not a
gradual slowing down as the packet sizes increased.  Is this supposed to
happen?  (I tested it with and without my in_cksum.S and got the same
results).

--
"I have been nothing but compassionate and understanding. I mean, all
you had to do was to admit you were wrong and I was right and