Subject: Re: Installed!
To: None <Tony.Engeham@net-tel.co.uk>
From: William Gallafent <William.Gallafent@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/13/1998 19:31:11
On Fri, 13 Feb 1998 Tony.Engeham@net-tel.co.uk wrote:

> > Well, after finding a mysterious link (use 'reserved' according to the
> > manual) which made my CD drive work, I have successfully installed the
> > 1.3alpha release.  The process was almost completely painless, and all
> > seems well so far, apart from one thing .... the mouse doesn't work under
> > X!
> Did you start X from a user capable of opening /dev/mouse?  Are you getting
> any logging messages on the terminal that started X?  You might also like to
> check the access on /dev/mouse.

Yep (root! argh) ... That was the right area for the problem though. For
some reason /dev/mouse was a symbolic link to /dev/qdm ... rather than the
/dev/qdm0 that is required. Fixing that gave me a full working X!
Wonderful!

Now I have to go and buy a Unix book that tells me how to be a system
administrator. I thought O'Reilly was probably the best place to look.
Anyone have any favourites?

(Also, once I have a faster modem, I'll download the release
distribution...)

My next step is to sort out all the basic config things, and then get pppd
set up to dial up and log in to my provider. Oce I've done that I can
actually use it for something!

Cheers,

Bill