Subject: Re(2): rsh
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <Tony.Engeham@net-tel.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/12/1998 11:06:11

> That more sounds like a problem on the remote machine than on your machine,

> since all that is passed across is your username. This is then converted
into

> "user@host" by the far end machine. (If you think about it that has to be
the

> way its done since otherwise CNAME mappings would go wrong - my machine for

> example is quit.client.nc.com on the localhost (confuses nslookup :), but
the
> record is desktop-nc187.client.nc.com which is what 'who' reports when I
log
> into a remote machine. My machine however has no idea that its real name is

> desktop-187 though.).

The problem was found to be that I didn't appear in the machine's ".rhosts"
file.  The machine's name that I was getting back does seem to be a problem
with the remote machine and a complete red herring as to what the problem
was!  The most annoying problems are always the obvious ones.

Thanks for your comments.

Tony