Subject: Re: Gadgets
From: None <Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/10/1998 19:21:22
> > It denepds on the application. Basically, X windows allows client
> > applications to draw coloured rectangles with variable width borders,
> > nothing more automatically. However it does allow applications to draw
> > _into_ the coloured rectanges :-) So, most drawing functionality for
> > buttons, gadgets, widgets, icons (call them what you will) tends to be
> > on the client side.
>
> Hmmm - I see. It seems a bit crazy to me, but I guess there are a lot of
> good reasons for this!
>
> > Some clients will use libraries of widgets to make things easier. One
> > such library (which gives xterm-like scroll bars) is called Xaw; there
> > is a version called Xaw3D (I think) which one can link with instead in
> > order to get better looking icons.
>
> OK, I'm with you there. Also - assuming that all these libraries aren't
> very standard API-wise, I couldn't simply change things to use Lesstif
> rather than Xaw by default.

I can make a dynamic linking version of Xraw, Xaw95, Xaw3d etc. These are all
Xaw replacements which can replace the old Xaw. Now that shared libs are
available it is easy to fresh up all the old programs :)
But presently I only have a mixed v1.2/v1.3 system and can't build dynamic
linking X apps. The suggested install from scratch I'd only do if I need a big
data loss of all my stuff :>>
However, I don't use the old Xaw apps because you'll find nearly for every old
Xaw program a newer and better one with a modern GUI.

Ciao, peter.