Subject: Re: Netscape
To: None <pwain@nc.com>
From: Jochen Scharrlach <jscharrl@BA-Stuttgart.De>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/10/1998 10:10:07
Hi,

                               ^^^^^
shame on you ;)

> Whilst I agree that that the JVM is platform independant, what are
> the chances that the APIs to the various JVMs is consistant across
> platforms let alone the different platforms the various 'free' JVM's
> run on (we have to consider non-NetBSD platforms in that case)? Then
> we run into the various low level differences between
> Motif/non-Motif implementations of AWT et al....  been there, done
> that, got the tshirt, got the coffee mug (Mark, Neil - care to
> comment on the mug (inside joke!) :)

What kind of API are you talking about? If Mozilla 5.x really hacks
it's way through a customized JVM, it would be nearly impossible to
use another JVM with it. But if it uses the proposed "Java Native
Interface" that comes with Java 1.1 - and according to the license
agreement it actually *has* to - there shouldn't be any big trouble.

I can't say much about the low-level differences, but somehow Netscape
had to cope with that, too, and I don't think that these problems were
solved in the JVM itself.

If nothing helps we could still wait for the RPC3 with 16 1GHz SAs and
4GB RAM to use the "Javagator" ;)

Bye,
Jochen

--