Subject: Re: Netscape
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: paul <pwain@nc.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/09/1998 23:23:19
--------------2A6E9B62FADCB6F93B0877AC

--------------C0A9AFB43E1D488E9B557CAA

I can confirm that the Netscape 4.03 sources WILL NOT enable JavaScript if the
Netscape JVM is not compiled in (there is a bloody great big #ifdef JAVA at the start
of the applet 'portal' (for want of a better word) code)

I can also confirm that Netscape DOES NOT have a java source redistribution license
(that was half of NCIs problem in getting the Communicator 4.x code).

REMEMBER: This is to clear the air on what I do and dont know. I am NOT writing for
Network Computer Inc. in these Netscape messages. I do have access to the Netscape
Navigator 3.0x source code and Netscape Communicator 4.0x code. I also have links
into Netscape who have helped in the porting of Netscape 3.0x to the Arm32 (NCI does
own the rights to this port, along with Netscape). I have not seen the Netscape 5.0x
source code yet. I probably will see the source code on March 31st along with
everyone else (albeit in the more complete news/mail/java/plugin versions). My
friends at Netscape (and yes I do have a cube down at the main Netscape site) have
not told me anything of the Dogbert2 release (yet!).

Paul.
(sending from Netscape Communicator not an NC for a change)

Peter Naulls wrote:

> Can anyone confirm whether or not the Netscape 5.0 source release includes
> NS's Java and/or JavaScript?

--------------C0A9AFB43E1D488E9B557CAA

<HTML>
I can confirm that the Netscape 4.03 sources WILL NOT enable JavaScript
if the Netscape JVM is not compiled in (there is a bloody great big <B>#ifdef
JAVA</B> at the start of the applet 'portal' (for want of a better word)
code)

<P>I can also confirm that Netscape DOES NOT have a java source redistribution
license (that was half of NCIs problem in getting the Communicator 4.x
code).

<P>REMEMBER: This is to clear the air on what I do and dont know. I am
NOT writing for Network Computer Inc. in these Netscape messages. I do
have access to the Netscape Navigator 3.0x source code and Netscape Communicator
4.0x code. I also have links into Netscape who have helped in the porting
of Netscape 3.0x to the Arm32 (NCI does own the rights to this port, along
with Netscape). I have <B>not</B> seen the Netscape 5.0x source code yet.
I probably will see the source code on March 31st along with everyone else
(albeit in the more complete news/mail/java/plugin versions). My friends
at Netscape (and yes I do have a cube down at the main Netscape site) have
not told me anything of the Dogbert2 release (yet!).

<P>Paul.
<BR>(sending from Netscape Communicator not an NC for a change)

<P>Peter Naulls wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Can anyone confirm whether or not the Netscape 5.0
source release includes
<BR>NS's Java and/or JavaScript?</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------C0A9AFB43E1D488E9B557CAA--

--------------2A6E9B62FADCB6F93B0877AC

begin:          vcard
fn:             Paul Wain
n:              Wain;Paul
org:            Network Computer Inc.
adr:            1000 Bridge Parkway;;;Redwood City;CA;94065;USA
email;internet: pwain@nc.com
title:          OS Development Engr.
tel;work:       +1 650 631 4628
tel;fax:        +1 650 631 4680