Subject: Re: How to build shared libs ? (was: Problems compiling)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tony Houghton <tonyh@tcp.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/08/1998 19:06:48
In message <4538221548%msergio@msergio.tin.it>
          Sergio Monesi <msergio@tin.it> wrote:

> In message <34DCDBE0.1F183874@nc.com>
>           paul <pwain@nc.com> wrote:
>
> > 1) Compile up all your source files with '-fpic' (-fPIC will not work!)
> > 2) link them together with:
> >
> >         ld -Bshareable -o libfoo.so.1.1 <object files>
>
> This is exactly what I did (although the standard makefile also added -DPIC
> to gcc, not that this seemed to make any difference, though) but the
> resulting library didn't seem to work since all the programs linked with it
> crashed immediately with a segmentation fault.
>
> I used the compiler from the 1.3alpha distribution of RiscBSD since the
> compiler of the NetBSD/arm32 distribution didn't work at all (as reported
> recently by Tony Houghton too).

Ah, so I'm not the only one, I'm perversely pleased to hear <g>. I'll
get the 1.3a compiler set then, but I suppose I'll also have to get the
compiler itself from the base set :-(.

There has been a patch or two for the 1.3a compiler to correct shared
library problems. Have you installed it/them? There's a directory called
patches or fixes on the ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk server.

I thought 1.3 release would be an improvement on 1.3a, not even more
broken :-(.

--
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/