Subject: Immediately the compiler blows up (1.3 release)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tony Houghton <tonyh@tcp.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/07/1998 21:49:00
I thought I'd have a go at compiling supplied source, starting with joe,
because it's a nice simple editor I'd much rather use than vi, and I
don't need all of emacs' power at this stage. So I got the source set
from ftp.netbsd.org and unpacked it into /usr/src (even that was a
trial, *@#!% tar man page) and ran make.

But immediately on starting to compile the first file (conf.c) cc1 dies
with fatal signal 11. It also said "'Permission error (page)' status =
00f address = 00000010 PC = 000ef7f0" and lots of other stuff I couldn't
be bothered to write down. I tried redirecting stdout and stderr to get
a full report, but that didn't work, presumably something to do with the
report being generated by the kernel.

BTW, most things get pretty well screwed up in single user mode once a
few sets are installed and I try to boot up in it. vi doesn't work for
starters, the only way I could get anything going was to edit rc.conf in
RISC OS to allow multi-user mode!

--
                    \  http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/