Subject: Re: Still unable to install RiscBSD1.3a (RapIDE/ATAPI problems)
To: <>
From: Andy Wingate <andrew.wingate@ox.compsoc.org.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/07/1998 19:05:57
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, William Gallafent wrote:

>I now have to run bb_riscbsd (not doing so results in the install kernel
>not being able to find the filesystems, or something - it throws up huge
>quantities of errors at the stage when it tries to copy stuff into /usr),
>and this is where the problem lies. From now on, when I reboot the
>machine, I get a 'disc not found' error from the filing system, and am
>dumped back into the desktop without access to my hard drives. To get them
>back, I have to repartition the drive with the RiscBSD partition on,
>undoing the work of bb_riscbsd in the process. If I do not create another
>partition which covers the start of the RiscBSD partition, the problem
>remains (because the bootblock created by bb_riscbsd is still there?); the
>only way to restore my drives to RiscOS is to delete just the information
>which is required to let RiscBSD find the partition.

When you get dumped back in the desktop after about two minutes of hanging
about and are left with no harddiscs, then insert your Rapier floppy disc,
run Rapier and then click on auto install. Hopefully that should work. I
think that's what I had to do.

Mind you, at the moment I have a permanent RiscOS partition from 0 to 2641
cylinders, and then I run Bb_RiscBSD and type in 2642 then run the install
kernel and it seems happy enough. (except for the wdc_atapi_intr warning:
reading only 0 of 2048 bytes problem)

Hope this is useful to anyone else in a similar situation.
--
|	Andy Wingate - 2nd Year Chemist - Merton College, Oxford      |