Subject: Problems compiling
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Sergio Monesi <msergio@tin.it>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/06/1998 12:39:31
I finally managed to get all the NetBSD/arm32 distribution and tried to
compile something (eg. unzip)... failing badly since cc1 always crashes
(Translation fault, Internal error, etc.).

Hence, I downloaded the RiscBSD comp.tar.gz set and it seems to work much
better, I managed to compile unzip which seems to work. Some part of the
RiscBSD distribution fails to work in a similar way to the NetBSD/arm32
compiler (eg. Mosaic)... xarm33 also crashed once (Memory error).

Then I moved to something more difficult, Lesstif. The files seem to compile
and the library created. However, every test program I tried crashed
(Segmentation fault). Similar problems with Qt.

Finally, I went back to something easier and compiled xsysstats. It compiles
and it does work using the 'standard' gcc flags but if I try "-fpic -DPIC" or
"-fPIC" it seems to suffer from the same problems as the Lesstif programs
(Segmentation fault)... is -fpic working?
ld sometimes reports some "RSS relocation of text" (or something like that, I
can't remember exactly) when gcc was issued without -fpic but then the
executable works while when I use -fpic there are no warnings from ld but the
executable fails.

So, am I doing something wrong or there are problems with the compiler(s) or
with my setup/kernel (everything taken from the NetBSD/arm32 distribution
apart from the compiler)?

Cheers,
Sergio

--
Sergio Monesi...         \ . . . \  Cracking RC5-64 with a StrongARM RiscPC
mailto:msergio@tin.it     \ . . . \  http://www.distributed.net/