Subject: Re: Still unable to install RiscBSD1.3a (RapIDE/ATAPI problems)
To: William Gallafent <William.Gallafent@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/05/1998 15:49:00
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, William Gallafent wrote:

> [Note to yellowstone: It may be that my problem with partitions could be
> solved if the ATAFS were to check each bootblock it comes across, and only
> try to assign RiscOS drives to those which were actually RiscOS
> bootblocks, rather than finding the RiscBSD bootblock and trying to act on
> it, which is what is seems to do at the moment.]

Try using 2.27 of the rapide firmware (it's better than 2.28 as it seems
to recognise the drive partitions)  However you might find problems with
CD-Roms with 2.27 I did, and gave up trying to use them with it.  So my
CD-Roms are sat on the internal IDE interface, and everything goes
wonderfully.  The latest CD-Rom drivers from yellowstone didn't want to
work with my drives under !PCPro, and it couldn't detect one of them
either.

> Well, I've been doing some further experimentation, and I find that
> bb_riscbsd is not happy to coexist with ATAFS sharing a hard drive.

Again try the different driver versions around, and keep a disc with the
drivers that do work handy, one of the nice things about the disc from
yellowstone is the yellow disc which is easy to find :)

> I am trying to have two partitions on a drive, the first being 7223
> cylinders for RiscOS, the second being the remaining 7625 cylinders for
> RiscBSD. I can partition the drive using Yellowstone's software,
> allocating the first partition, then either leaving the rest unallocated
> or creating a second partition (the problem is the same either way).

Leave it uncreated, saves some confusion I think.

[snip lots of stuff on why the shared drive don't work, and the problems]

Try 2.27 of the drivers they seem happy with my shared drive.

> I still have the problem of 'wdc_atapi_intr: warning: reading only 0 of
> 2048 bytes' when I try to list the sets on the CD too :( :( :( which means
> I can't install the sets (unless someone can tell me how else to get them
> across ... could I just copy all the files in the distrib directory on the
> CD into /usr/distrib and install them from there, or something?)

Try putting the CD-ROMS on the internal interface, the difference in speed
is not noticable for most cd's.

> Cheers, and still looking forward to the magical moment when I can do a
> multiuser boot with a standard kernel .....

All good things come to those that wait ;)

Chris

PS if you can't find 2.27 of the drivers let me know and I'll let you have
them.  (NB 2.28 seems to go erk with the partitions...)