Subject: 1.3Alpha install problem ...
From: William Gallafent <William.Gallafent@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/04/1998 03:06:54
First of all, bb_riscbsd seems to only want to preserve the first RiscOS
partition on my Hard Drive - connected to a RapIDE card.

I'm looking to have a small partition for RiscBSD bits and pieces, a
couple of ~1Gb RiscOS partitions, then ~2Gb for RiscBSD. I have managed to
get it to install now, but I'm not sure it'll carry on working once I
finish installing and switch to a normal kernel ... If I run bb_riscbsd
and then reboot I get all sorts of problems with 'partition not found' and
that sort of thing. The way to sort it out is to repartition using
Yellowstone's software. Whether this messes up the BSD partition's boot
block I don't know (I just leave cylinders 7509 onwards alone!). The
install kernel seems to be able to see / and /usr still after this.

The main problem is that when I go to 'Show Distribution Sets' from the
'inst' program, the list starts to appear, but then, at about g in the
alphabet, repeatedly prints 'wdc_atapi_intr: warning: reading only 0 of
2048 bytes.' Stopping it with ^C any trying again gives a device busy
error when I try to mount the CDROM drive.

Does this just mean that I've got a scratched disc (seems a little odd) or
is this a problem with the ATAPI code? Which file should I try to load
under RiscOS to find out if there is a fault with the disc.

Is there a workaround?

I'm using a TEAC CD56e as master on the secondary port of a RapIDE card,
and everything has worked up to here.

TIA, (and looking forward to getting it up and running ... so near and yet
so far, so far...)

Bill