Subject: New Console latest.
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/19/1998 13:05:52
Sorry for the delay but pulling the new console up to 1.3 has been a little on
the tricky side. There is a 1.3_ALPHA kernel with the new console on the
monet.me.ic.ac.uk ftp site in /pub/vide/vide1098.gz. This has pretty much the
same functionality as the previous version except that the corrupted mouse
pointer has vanished, some bugs have been fixed, rendering is slightly faster
and there is now a border around the screen (I have been having problems with
drawing outside the screen and this makes it more obvious - it can be switched
off with a compilation option).

There is still no support for X until I sort out the API properly. Currently
supported screen modes are any RiscOS screen modes in either 1bpp or 8bpp. 4bpp
and 16bpp work under certain conditions but I would not recommend using them
yet.

To use anything other than the default mode you need a Bootloader which
supports passing a mode as a comma-separated list of numbers (note: no spaces).
On other recent bootloaders in theory you can probably use the extra boot
options box to enter the options:

vidc.bpp=<bpp> vidc.mode=<mode definition from monitor file>

eg:

  vidc.bpp=1 vidc.mode=32500,52,64,30,640,30,14,3,28,0,480,0,9,3

gives a 1bpp mode in 640x480 resolution.

Let me know of any bugs, problems, etc - particularly interesting are any
programs which reproducibly fail to render correctly. I'd also particularly
love to know whether the console works with 1Meg VRAM (note the default mode
probably won't work).

Cheers

Rob