Subject: Initial problems
From: ct <ct@comlab.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/14/1998 11:33:33
Hiya

Well, I've finally gotten around to installing RiscBSD (1.3a) on my new
harddisc (only about 3 months after the fact), and have one or two problems
(as seems fairly typical...)

a) Without booting multi-user, I couldn't use any editors because I
didn't have my TERM set up. Easy enough to fix, but rather less obvious
what was going wrong (I spent ages trying to locate termcap, 'cos I
thought it oughta be in as /etc/termcap, when both vi and joe said they
couldn't find it). Should this be the case or did something go wrong?

b) I'm getting continual error reports from my eh driver, of the form:

EHDEBUG : Remote 16 wasn't finished : spl level 16
EHDEBUG : SetReg done : status 18 : type 16
EHDEBUG : COM_WRITE : About to SetReg
ehstart : failed to load packet

and

eh : no carrier [1]

and

arplookup : unable to enter address for <ipaddress>

Are these serious/fixable/ignorable/anything ? (If its relevant, I'm having
to use this 'ehbug' option to get things booting)

c) Unixfs appears to corrupt files occasionally. Also, i can't get it
to mount my second partition (well, third, wd1e), it just mutters about
an invalid/unknown super-block. Any ideas?

Apart from all that, things went fairly smoothly. Many thanks to the folks
at Causality!

regards, ct

[1] A mixture of this error and the previous one were reported previously
by someone else, but no-one mentioned them again... Someone else did
say a new version of the EtherH driver was being worked upon; did anything
come of this?