Subject: Re: can't install arm32/bsd
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andy Wingate <andyw@mistral.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/20/1997 19:50:36
I hope I can shed a little light on this problem...
(Not that I have solved it anywhere near completely myself)

On Mon 15 Dec, Kaustav Bhattacharya wrote:
> Machine Spec :
> Risc PC600, SA233MHz, 24Mb RAM, 3.1Gb Quantum Fireball/RapIDE32
(issue
> 2) Hard disk/IDE Interface card, Risc OS 3.7.

I have a RiscPC SA110-202.4Hz with 20Mb DRAM, 2Mb VRAM, RiscOS 3.70
and a RapIDE32 issue 2 with currently a Quantum Fireball ST 2.1Gb
harddrive on primary master, a Matsushita CR583A 8x CDROM on primary
slave and a Conner 515Mb harddrive on secondary master.

> I used Rapier to create a new unformatted partition starting at
> cylinder 3128. After booting Risc BSD from CD ROM, I entered the
> appropriate details:
...which I have <snipped>

In order to prevent all those inode related errors, you need to use
the BASIC program BB_RiscBSD in the RiscOS.Misc directory on the
CDROM and feed in the values you want for the partition (drive
number, partition size and offset (in cylinders) and then run the
RPCinst kernel through !BtRiscBSD (typing the relevant values at the
prompts).

Doing this allowed me to get as far as running 'inst' to install the
distribution sets. I have tried both using wd0 (my 2.1Gb drive using
800Mb for NetBSD) and wd1 (using 495Mb of 515Mb for NetBSD) and both
setups produce continuous messages of the form (even when trying to
just install the 'base' set:

uid0 on /mnt: file system full

/mnt: write failed, file system is full
/usr/bin/tar: couldn't write to file ./sbin/mount/ados : No space
left on device

uid0 on /mnt: file system full

This was carrying on very quickly so a ^C stopped these errors (and
the process). It appears unable to install anything at all. I assume
this is a problem with the RapIDE interface, as I was previously able
to install all the sets on to a partition on the Quantum drive under
the standard IDE port and ADFS. I was unable to boot this when I
started using the RapIDE interface - possibly as the Bt_RiscBSD
system assumes ATAFS drives start numbering at 4 rather than 0. I
attempted to alter the unixfs programs but even altering those lines
that referenced to a 4 didn't make any difference.

Is it possible to have more than just one partition on a harddrive
apart from the NetBSD one, because I like having two ATAFS partitions
on one disk to help tidy my filing systems and separate completely
work and leisure?

When the NetBSD/port-arm32 system was running under ADFS, I was just
getting around to setting X up the way I had been more used to on
Digital Unix or HP-UX. Is there something simple I can do to install
the sets into my system?

--
|	Andy Wingate - 2nd Year Chemist - Merton College, Oxford
|
|    mailto:andyw@cryogen.com 	  |    http://www.cryogen.com/andyw/

	"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"