Subject: Re: Boot-time errors/warnings
To: Tony Houghton <tonyh@tcp.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/09/1997 14:26:24
On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Tony Houghton wrote:

> In message <Pine.SGI.3.95L.971208111239.1475A-100000@tower.york.ac.uk>
>           Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Tony Houghton wrote:
> >
> > > Although 1.3a now seems to be up and running on my machine, it gives a
> > > few strange messages when booting:
> > >
> > > savecore : /netbsd : nlist : No such file or directory
> > > savecore : /netbsd : _dumpdev not in namelist
> > >
> > > Then a bit later on:
> > >
> > > kvm_mkdb : /netdsb : No such file or directory
> >
> > > No doubt the second is caused by the last, but the 3rd is a bit
> > > strange, because I have got the kernel installed and am booting from it
> > > natively.

[snip part on missing files in /dev]

Have you tried copying the kernel to /netbsd again?

Other than that I think it requires more expert help then I can give.

> There are some other things I've noticed.
>
> When using my "normal" user, my input usually stops being echoed after a
> few minutes ie nothing I type appears on screen, but the computer does
> respond to my commands, and its prompts and output appear. I'm using
> Korn shell BTW, and presumably vt100. It appears to get fixed if I log
> out and in again.

Have you tried a different shell?  Just to see if the error is the shell
or something else?

> Why is the cursor sometimes red and sometimes white?

Red indicates something has happened on another virtual terminal, it goes
white when you change virtual terminal.

> When I log on as root (or su), why does the cursor jump halfway up the
> screen, overwriting everything else?

This is to do with the cursor moving to where it think the bottom of a
vt100 screen is, ie 24 lines from the top.

Cheers,
Chris