Subject: RE: Boot-time errors/warnings
To: 'Tony Houghton' <tonyh@tcp.co.uk>
From: John Harrison <John.Harrison@3Dlabs.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/09/1997 10:17:11
On Monday, December 08, 1997 7:55 PM, Tony Houghton wrote:
> > > savecore : /netbsd : nlist : No such file or directory
> > > savecore : /netbsd : _dumpdev not in namelist

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but the obvious one to check is
that /netbsd actually exists and is exactly the same kernel that you are
using to boot with (or that you are doing a native boot).

> Why is the cursor sometimes red and sometimes white?

It means that something is happening on another console. I.e. a white
cursor means you are up to date, a red one means there is unseen output
somewhere.

> When I log on as root (or su), why does the cursor jump halfway up the
> screen, overwriting everything else?

In /etc/gttytab (/etc/getty ?) change the terminal type entries from
vt100 to vt220 and see if that fixes the problem. It would appear that
the console claims to be a vt100 (and RiscBSD is set up for such) but
actually performs better as a vt220. Certainly it gets the screen size
wrong as the former but not the latter.

This may also have bearing on your lack of echo problem, though I have
never seen that happen myself.

John Harrison
R&D, 3Dlabs