Subject: Re: UnixFS
To: Dave Daniels <Davedan@arcade.demon.co.uk>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/07/1997 00:23:06
Dave Daniels wrote:

>   PB> It would be very nice if it would be possible to use UnixFS
>   PB> (=FFS) as a alternative filesystem on the RiscOS side too.
>
> I have thought this about UnixFS too, but I think that it would
> require quite a lot of development. I find that it is all too easy
> to hang my RiscPC if I try to use it, plus it uses memory in the
> RMA by the megabyte. In my experience, it frequently corrupt files
> when moving them from the Unix paritition to RISC OS. Then, as you
> point out, you cannot delete files. I think it is meant to provide
> a transfer method, not be a complete filing system. Having said
> that, though, is anybody working on it or are there any plans to
> upgrade it?

unixfs is pretty static these days; it does what I think it was intended
for (last-case transfer of krenels) OK. When I've finally finished
writing it, there will be a nice FFS-like (it has some performance
enhancements, and some facilities lacking) filing system for RiscOS...
One day... It's only been in development for nine months ;-) It's the
cache that's the killer ;-))

Hadn't realised writing a whole new FileSwitch filesystem from scratch
on an OS with the most awful filing system APIs in the world, together
with a versatile efficient-on-ARM buffer cache with good data integrity
that does't fragment memory on an OS with no memory management to speak
of, would take so long ;-)

This won't be a Causality product BTW. I won't advertise here though...

	Cheers,

	Neil