Subject: Re: Using X across a modem link
To: None <mwillc@essex.ac.uk>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/07/1997 00:17:17
Matthew Willcock wrote:

> I've got X-windows working and have even managed to get dip working :-)
> What I would now like to do is connect to the university labs and run x
> programs across the modem link (yes I know it will be slow) I have tried
> telneting into the Sun box at uni and running, say xv, but I get a error
> say unable to open server (or something like that).

Great; on your machine, you need to do
	xhost +machine.name.domain
(or just xhost +) from an xterm;

on the remote machine, do something like
	xv -display your.machine.domain:0.0
which will redirect it, or on the same machine do
	setenv DISPLAY your.machine.domain:0.0 (csh variants)
	export DISPLAY=your.machine.domain:0.0 (other shells eg bash)
which will do this redirection permanently.

> One other problem is with Xemacs, when I run it I get the error
> '/usr/libexec/ld.so: xemacs :libXpm.so.4.10: no such file or directory
>
> Any one got any ideas?

Do you have libXpm?

	Neil

--
Neil A. Carson   Business development, Causality and Chalice Technology
Causality:       WWW: http://www.causality.com email: neil@causality.com