Subject: Re: Dialin
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: S.J. Borrill <sjb42@cus.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/04/1997 17:09:09
On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Mike Pumford wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, S.J. Borrill wrote:
>
> > Has anyone configured their system for dial in access i.e. the RiscBSD box
> > can be dialled into from a remote machine. dip -i seems to provide most of
> > the functions (though I haven't tried it), but I suspect I need to hack
> > /etc/ttys and termcap to enter appropriate initialisation strings for the
> > modem. Any pointers/hints?
> >
> I did have it configured using a package call mgetty in the 1.2 release. I
> have not tried to re-compile this for the shared releases due to lack of
> time. This was fairly easy to compile and I can send you the configuration
> header file I used if you get stuck. It worked as a getty replacement when
> the tty00 line was modified to point to the mgetty binary.

I've got hold of mgetty and it really is trivial to use (hint: use make
noident). It works virtually straight out of the box as a straight dialin
getty, though a few things in the header file need altering such as where
to find login (/usr/bin/login rather than /bin/login). To add ppp
capability is even easier.

Stephen Borrill