Subject: Re: Sector sizes other than 512 bytes
To: John Harrison <John.Harrison@3Dlabs.com>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/01/1997 23:47:33
On Mon 01 Dec, John Harrison wrote:
> The reason I am trying to build the kernel is that I want to try playing
> with the SCSI code. Regrettably not to implement DMA transfers (I don't
> have the info or experience to start that). My current problem is with
> sector sizes. I have a MagOpt removable disk connected to a Powertec
> SCSI II. It always reports the bytes per sector as 512 rather than 2048
> as it should do for some disks.
>
> AFAICT the problem is in the generic SCSI code rather than the Powertec
> driver. But I would be interested to know if anyone has tried such a
> drive on a different card. Or even knows of a fix for the problem.

If you had been reading current-users, you would have known that
NetBSD does not support devices with other sector sizes than
512 bytes at present.

>From the discussions, there seems to be ongoing work to add support
for this, but I would not expect to see this until well into 1998.

I am sorry to have to say this, but I feel that I have to.

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no