Subject: Installation and mouse problems
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Theo Markettos <bsd-list@marketto.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/30/1997 15:16:58
I've almost successfully installed 1.3_Alpha on a Risc PC with Morley SCSI
driven MaxIT disc.  Because I'm using the CD on the unsupported Indigo drive,
I had to do an installation by setting up the drive partitions, copying over
the sets with UnixFS, and then running inst.  When I first did this for Base,
it complained (I think saying Base must be installed first).  I therefore did
it manually, by doing 'tar -zxvf /usr/distrib/BASE.TAR' from /

This then caused problems because inst reported that Base must be installed
first when trying to install anything else.  The only workaround I could find
was to set up an sh script containing a long list of tar commands, and leave
it overnight.  This worked, and I've got a mostly working system.

inst still refuses to acknowledge Base or any other set is installed.  Is
there anything else that has to be done to convince it that the sets are
really installed? I've tried copying the .SET files to /var/inst/installed,
with no effect.

My second problem concerns running X.  Possibly because of the way I've
installed the sets, rcm complains that it can't find the VIDC device.  I
tried chmod 777ing all VIDC and mouse devices. If I startx anyway (from
root), it complains something like (as I remember):

/dev/mouse: No such file or directory
Unable to open mouse device
Winging it: using keyboard keypad mouse

The X terminal comes up, and the xterms work, but the mouse refuses to budge.
I've tried every possible combination of Ctrl, Alt and Shift with all the
keys to the right of Return, with no success.

I noticed that /dev/mouse is a symbolic link, so I've tried almost every
possible combination of:

/dev/MAKEDEV qms0
/dev/MAKEDEV mouse-qms0

The X server still refuses to recognise the mouse.  I've also tried using
pms0 as well (does the Risc PC have a quadrature or PS2 mouse from BSD's
point of view?).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Theo