Subject: Re: Fwd: C++ woes.
To: port-arm32 <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alex Hayward <xelah@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/25/1997 16:21:30
On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Paul Wain wrote:
[snip, 'cos pine quotes the wrong bit out of all the messy mime stuff]

The makefile that came with qt compiled /usr/lib/c++rt0.o in with the
library. It still crashes before entering main() but its fine when
statically linked.

I've found that the same thing seems to happen with anything non-trivial.
mimelib in the KDE support tar file (which also uses C++) won't work
without being statically linked. Even linking a static libmime to produce
a dynamically linked executable seems to fail and I have to specify
-static to get it to run. This is with the libstdc++ and libg++ files from
the ftp site that are not in the comp set, plus the comp set (also from
the ftp site). Oh, and for some reason, a few things didn't work with the
original g++ binary and I had to link g++ to gcc to avoid unknown system
calls. Could this have something to do with it?

Oh, and I installed my 1.3alpha installation over the top of my previous
installation, but deleted all the old libraries, binaries etc. and I'm
pretty sure that there are no old binaries being used. The kernel is one
compiled from the ksrc set.

--
alex@hayward.u-net.com; xelah@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk