Subject: Re: Next....
To: Laurent Domisse <domisse@credm.credm.com>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/25/1997 09:49:22
On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Laurent Domisse wrote:

> Thanks for the fix for the ldconfig to everyone :)
>
> I continue ti insall the alpha release and I have some questions :
>
> 1) When booting I have a :
> wdc : reset failed
> What's this ?

This is oftern reported if the kernel tries to reset an IDE bus that does
not have anything connected to it. Do you have either the motherboard IDE
connector or another IDE channel on a podule that has no devices attached
?
Alternatively I believe it can somtimes occur when probing IDE busses with
CDROM drives attached.
Is it actually finding all the IDE / ATAPI devices ok ?

> 2) using a 'top' report 14 M of memory but I have 38 Mo of RAM in
> my machine...where are they ?

Is this just the first figure from the Memory line ?
I have something like

Memory: 18M Act 3424K Inact 2512K Wired 35M Free 8K Swap 191M Swap fee

18M+3424K+2512K+35M should roughly equate to the avail mem reported during
the boot. This will be slightly less than the total memory due to the
kernel etc.

> 4) In the Apache set, there is a missing file  in conf. There is no
> mime.types file.

Opps just had a look and the make install does not actually put the
mime.types file in the conf directory which is probably why it got missed
from the set. I'll update the set online and will send you a suitable
version.

> 5) where can I download misc set not included in the CDROM ?
> (Xearth, Emacs....)

Well you may find a few sets on
ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk/pub/acorn/RiscBSD/1.2-contrib but these are probably
mostly out of date and a lot of them will be statically linked rather than
using shared libraries. Hopefully users will start rebuild some of the
contributed sets for 1.3 so I expect there will be a 1.3-contrib directory
there soon.

Cheers,
				Mark