Subject: RE: Mount problem with 1.3 installation
To: 'Colin.Hogben@jet.uk' <Colin.Hogben@jet.uk>
From: John Harrison <John.Harrison@3Dlabs.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/20/1997 10:35:30
On Thursday, November 20, 1997 8:58 AM, Colin.Hogben@jet.uk wrote:
> /etc/rc.conf is not configured.  Multiuser boot aborted.
> Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

This is because you have BtRiscBSD set for multi-user boot but have not
changed rc.conf to allow this.

> [1] I added an extra partition, but this shouldn't be a problem,
> should it?

Nope. Not sure about going past partition g but certainly up to g is
allowed.

> # mount
> /dev/wd0a on / type ffs (local)

By default, a single user boot does not mount all drives, only the root.
IIRC it used to (under 1.2) but the 1.3 /.profile does not do this.

> # cat /etc/fstab

To 'run' this file type 'mount -a'. The all option tells mount to
process your fstab and mount everything within it.

> Perhaps someone can suggest where to go from here?

The Bahamas.

> P.S. Be nice to me, it's my birthday :-)

Happy birthday.

BTW, if you want a much easier to use editor, try joe instead of vi. It
generally lives in /usr/local/bin/joe. You need TERM set to something
sensible though.

On the subject of TERM, what should it actually be? The bootup messages
for the console imply it should be vt100 but I get much better results
by using vt220. For example, less, joe, etc. actually get the screen
size right.

John Harrison
R&D, 3Dlabs