Subject: Re: Networks printing via pcnfsd...
To: Dickon Hood <dickon-ml@fluff.org>
From: Daniel Brown <crp02@holyrood.ed.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/20/1997 15:13:17
Though this is a little off-topic, I'd certainly be interested in an
example of of how to enable printing from a PC running PC-NFS 1.2 to a
RiscBSD box. The NFS side of things is set up in /etc/exports as

/export -maproot=nobody -network 129.215.220 -mask 255.255.255.0

allowing the PC to mount /export successfully. PC-NFS also successfully
lists the (single) printer in /etc/printcap, but refuses to attach it to
lpt2:, giving the 'lp is either not local to server mouse, is not
exported, or does not exist' error message, which is blatantly untrue.

I've also never got rpc.pcnfsd to pay any attention to /etc/pcnfsd.conf -
the file is never parsed, as far I can tell from having a good play with
gdb, and none of the virtual printers I've tried to define have ever
appeared. This suggests to me that there's something seriously not right
here.

Printing via the PC-NFS lpr client works fine, but isn't ideal.

Dan.

--
Daniel Brown, Dept. of Chemistry, Univ. of Edinburgh, West Mains Road,
Edinburgh, EH16 5AW Tel. +44(0)-131-650-4816 Fax +44(0)-131-650-4743