Subject: Re: A suitable backup device
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dickon Hood <dickon-ml@fluff.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/07/1997 14:14:43
In message <Pine.SOL.3.96.971107114506.18945A-100000@taurus.cus.cam.ac.uk>
          "S.J. Borrill" <sjb42@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

: > Has anyone got suggestions of a suitable backup device to plug onto a RiscBSD
: > server with an Acorn scsi card fitted? Its for a school running a NC pilot
: > scheme for Xemplar. They suggested a syquest but school cannot get devices to
: > talk. Anyone with a better idea?

: You can't just plug in a syquest and go. You'll need to format it first.
: Though you should be able to tar directly to /dev/rsd0a or something in
: theory if you are not bothered about file structure. Is the Syquest
: recognised by the kernel at bootup?

I've got a WangDAT 1300 drive which works really quite well under BSD.  As
Stephen suggests, a simple tar (in this case to /dev/rst0) suffices for me.
If you need anything more sophisticated, I'd make sure it is streamable.  My
SCSI card is a Cumana SCSI II (I know...).

--
Dickon Hood

I've now managed to find my .signature file, normal service
will be resumed when Connex South Central get their act together.
We apologise for the inconvenience in the mean time.