Subject: RiscBSD Installation Funny
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Daniels <Davedan@arcade.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/29/1997 20:03:24
I am trying to help a friend install RiscBSD but we do not seem to
be getting very far with it and we would be grateful for any
suggestions people might have.

The installation is failing at the very first hurdle. We create
the installation file system disk and set what we think are the
correct options in !RiscBSD, but every time we try to boot the OS,
the machine crashes. The last thing printed on the screen is:

initarm: Secondary bootstrap ... mapping ...

Then about a second later the screen goes haywire. You have to
reset the machine after this.

My friend's machine is a StrongARM-equipped RiscPC with 48 meg
of memory and 2 meg of video RAM. It has a SCSI drive as drive
4 and an IDE device as drive 5. The intention is to use the IDE
disk for RiscBSD. (I think there are problems with SCSI
drives, aren't there?) I don't know the make of SCSI card he
uses but could find out if that would be of help. The version
of RiscBSD he has is the one on 'Risc Disc 3'. We are using
kernel SA110-4740. I know this one works from personal
experience.

We have tried setting the boot options as per the installation
instructions and various other combinations as well, but nothing
seems to work. I use RiscBSD myself and have installed it from
scratch a couple of times on my own machine without any difficulty
so am familiar with the process. But, at the moment, we are
completely stumped. My own view is that the SCSI drive has
something to do with it, but I have nothing to back that up. Does
anybody have any ideas?

Dave
--
    ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___   | Free Internet E-mail and Anti-UCE News |
|  /   \/   \/   \/   \/   \/   \  | +44 181 654 2212 also +44 181 655 4412 |