Subject: Re: Can't install shared 1.2 release
To: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/17/1997 20:08:37
Ib-Michael Martinsen wrote:

> Are you sure? Do you (or anybody else) know the size of the user base

In terms of serious users, probabnly a few tens.

> and how many would be willing to pay for a CD?
> And how many CDs do you have to burn to break even?

Excluding time, in just financial costs we have exceeded ukp5000 out of
our own personal pockets for the project: Numerous discs, machines,
leaflets for shows, stands, transport etc. Also huge amounts of online
dialup time and phone bills need to be figured in, so we're probably
looking at another few hundred quid for this.

So, let's say ukp5500. To break even we'd need to sell hundreds of CD
ROMs, which we're plainly not going to do. We---to be honest---don't
care too much about the losses, as it's been a damn fun project and
we've met a lot of people and had some good times with it; what I do
think, however, is that ukp25 for a CD ROM is _not_ an unrealistic price
given what we're out of pocket by.

If I knew we were going to sell say 100 CD ROMs at a show, I'd lower the
price.

> How many of you out there will support such a project?
>
> Just my two euro's of thought.

It would be interesting to know :-) I'm always open to suggestions.

	Cheers,

	Neil

--
Neil A. Carson                         Marketing Director
E-mail: neil@causality.com             Causality Limited (London, UK)