Subject: Re: Can't install shared 1.2 release
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David J. Ruck <druck@rta.ricardo.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/16/1997 14:40:33

Neil wrote:
> Yes.

Thank you.

> RiscBSD is still developed a lot by ARM/UNIX hackers in their spare
> time. Causality may physically _sell_ the CD ROMs from its stand,
> however it doesn't make any money off them.

I didnt mean to imply a lack of appriciation for all your hard work
to bring UNIX to the ARM platform. I hope you get some reward from
commercial contacts in the future.

I just feel that your efforts would reach a much wider audience
if more people were able to make use of Risc BSD of the copies they
have obtained - wether it is through a copy perchased from you or
a third party CD.

> As individuals, _we_ pay for the CD ROMs to be mastered (not Causality),
> _we_ put them together in our own time (not Causality), etc. At the
> Wakefield show, we personally made a loss of several hundred quid each

If you are making small runs of CDs it might be worth blowing golds
now you can pick up cheap and nasty media for 1-2 quid, rather than
getting them commerically duped which is only economic for 500 or more.

Ideally make them multi-session so we can send them back to get all
the latest kernels put on (1/2 :-)

> We have no control whatsoever over other individuals/companys that
> decide to produce CD ROMs containing RiscBSD.

The very nature of the project means you cant restrict the distribution
of the source. So I think you'll just have to plead with anyone thinking
of 'filling up' their CD with it, to atleast get a full copy. Plus
supplied in approprite Tar/X files to prevent name mangeling.

> At Acorn World, we will have some CD ROMs available, that will be a
> complete CD ROM without any holes (we hope!).

A few people have already beaten me to comment on that :-)

> Hope this clears things up a bit;

Yes, but I'm taking your word (not having being able to preview the
system on SCSI) that when I come back from Acorn world with a
specially purchased large IDE disc and another Risc BSD CD, I'll work
for me.

---Dave

 T E C H N O L O G Y  .  I N T E L L I G E N C E  .  A P P L I C A T I O N

 David J. Ruck BSc   Phone: +44-1452-712925   Email: druck@rta.riacrdo.com