Subject: Re: Can't install shared 1.2 release
To: None <druck@rta.ricardo.com>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/15/1997 12:17:46
Hi David,

David J. Ruck wrote:

> Is there any chance of a *complete* CD Version of Risc BSD at Acorn World?
> i.e. one that does not require access to www and ftp just to get it
> working.

Yes.

> As Casuality seems to be heading for a more comerical standing rather than
> the team of ARM / UNIX hackers (no offense chaps) when it started. I think
> it would be a good idea to just review what you have done so far and try
> and get a complete product out for the show. You can then go back to the
> 1000-fixes-a-week-on-the-ftp as it seems to be at the moment.

(A bit of offence taken :-) )

RiscBSD is still developed a lot by ARM/UNIX hackers in their spare
time. Causality may physically _sell_ the CD ROMs from its stand,
however it doesn't make any money off them.

The four developers (myself, Mark, Scott and Rob) are still collectively
several thousand pounds out of pocket to the RiscBSD project as a whole,
and we don't see this really changing from the point of view of
recouping a small proportion of it from sales of 25-quid CD ROMs.

> And if you do manage this on your next CD, how about supplying it at
> minimal cost to those who already have an old one, which turned out to be
> useless without access to ftp.

As individuals, _we_ pay for the CD ROMs to be mastered (not Causality),
_we_ put them together in our own time (not Causality), etc. At the
Wakefield show, we personally made a loss of several hundred quid each
(at the year before, we just about broke even). Causality will have a
stand at AW to demo its commericial stuff and also to host RiscBSD,
purely because we as individuals could not afford the cost of a stand at
the show (and Acorn seem out of room this year).

At Acorn World, we will have some CD ROMs available, that will be a
complete CD ROM without any holes (we hope!). Hopefully we as
individuals (given the cost of the stand is written off by Causality)
will break even for this show: If not, we will have to seriously think
about doing any more in the future.

Bear in mind, putting together a CD ROM takes up several weeks of Mark
and Scott's free time, every evening every day (it is not a trivial
job).

We have no control whatsoever over other individuals/companys that
decide to produce CD ROMs containing RiscBSD.

Hope this clears things up a bit;

	Neil

--
Neil A. Carson                         Marketing Director
E-mail: neil@causality.com             Causality Limited (London, UK)