Subject: Re: Can't install shared 1.2 release
To: Adrian Ian Skilling <skilling@signal.dra.hmg.gb>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/14/1997 18:45:14
Just a note on what seems to be going on, but I don't see what the
problem actually is..

Adrian Ian Skilling wrote:

> I'm trying to install the release from the Acorn
> Developers disc from scratch.
>
> The boot floppy doesn't appear to get transferred
> to the ram disk. I remember in my initial
> install this took around 1 minute - there's none
> of this.

Inside the kernel is a memory disk which contains the root filing
system ie., what you would expect to be transfered to the ram disk.

> The install continues but then various software
> in /usr/bin (I think!) doesn't appear to be present.
> There are links pointing to /bin/cat and running
> them gives a message something like this :-
>
> Usage: ramdiskbin <program> .... (list of programs)

The links are a ruse to get more binaries into less space: make one
binary called cat in directory bin which contains all the binaries,
but only 1 copy of each of the statically linked libraries, and get
that binary to act according to argv[0].

> The CD didn't have a inst-12/fs so I used the latest
> one from the FTP site. Is this the problem ?

What is the problem?

> Note: A lot of this may be inaccurate since I'm not
>       sitting at my machine right now.
> (I am using the kernel VINST and root device is /dev/rd0a
>  with size 1440K before anyone suggests this)
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Adrian

Good luck,

 Patrick