Subject: Re: What happened to autobuild?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/07/1997 01:01:34
Hi Mark,

in message <Pine.NEB.3.96.971003171207.191B-100000@voyager.causality.com>
          you <mark@causality.com> wrote:

> Basically this was running on borrowed time once I left Kings. The machine
> that did the builds was then switched off as without me at Kings no one
> had any use for the machine. As yet I don't have a machine that I can use
> to do the builds and put them online.
> We are looking into getting an alternative machine to do the job.

Well all I'd need atm is a current csc.o. Can we arrange some way to get
hold of it?

> > The background is that I've suped the latest sources and tried to build
> > a kernel and it seems that a newer csc.o is needed. Btw, what was the
> > latest state of the dreadful NDA from Cumana?
>
> No change and it is not likely to sadly.

Well, the last time I mailed with Mark Gillman (January 97) his statement
roughly read like this: Well, we're all so busy here at Cumana but as soon
as I get a quiet five minutes, I'll think about the consequences of
releasing the information. Please be patient until this happens.

I think it would be a good idea if the kernel team asked them once again
what the deal with the NDA is. You might want to mention that Duncan
Ferguson didn't buy Cumana for use with RiscBSD because of the NDA.

As for the alternatives being discussed:
I remember you saying that csc.c itself isn't affected by the NDA, it's
just the header file csc.h.
Now I have a little BASIC programm called ecinfo which I think was posted
uuencoded on this mailing list some months ago. This looks like it can find
out pretty much of what is needed to put in this header file.
You see what I'm getting at?
Could you check in csc.c, not breaking the NDA because there is no NDA info
in it, and somebody else come up with csc.h containing the necessary info
which was found out by using this program and probably some additional
probing around in podule space?

> Did you see my mail yesterday evening. The new improved release will now
> coincide with NetBSD 1.3 whose release schedule has already be published.

Yes, I saw it now. Sounds good.
Thanks for the good work!

So long,  Markus