Subject: Re: The Internet, configuring for.
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Whiting <paul@whtng.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/03/1997 18:35:03
On Fri 03 Oct, Thomas Boroske wrote:
> In message <Marcel-1.26-1002164606-868a*2k@whtng.demon.co.uk> you wrote:
>
> > How do I go on to the Internet from RiscBSD? I don't understand UNIX at all and have
> > no experience of it. I have the RiscDisc3 version of RiscBSD, which I have installed
> > after some complications.
> >
> > >From rcm (I think that's its name) I configured my hostname to be 'whtng' and my
> > domain name to be 'demon.co.uk'. I expect that this is hopelessly wrong - but what
> > should I do? Please make your explanations simple -ie. tell me what to type rather
> > than to, for example 'configure my account details'.
>
> You can't give a universally valid instruction on this.
>
> I can help you with the starters, ie getting on the net at all.
> Configuring mail and news is a lot more complicated and may
> mean compiling your own sets as not all is available on the
> RiscBSD site (however, as I would want to use it as well some day,
> I would probably do it anyway).

Thank you.

> However, before this, I need to know your account details, ie SLIP or
> POP, fixed or dynamic IP adress etc. Please tell me what you did
> under RiscOS, that would help a lot.

I use PPP under RiscOS, with POP3 mail. I rather need to use POP3 as my
sister uses the same account on a different machine, and we don't want
to get our mail muddled. I have a fixed IP address, which is a load of
numbers that I have written down somewhere. You can tell by my E-mail
address that my ISP is Demon Internet. Is there anything else you need
to know?

> If you know NOTHING about Unix I can tell you now that it will be
> difficult. You should at least know your way around the filing system
> and know how to use an editor.
>
> Ie you should be able to work on instructions like "create the file
> /etc/ppp/options and put the following into it" or something.
>
> Unix (at least not in the form of RiscBSD) is not something you just
> play with like you can do with RiscOS. If you wanna use it you
> gotta learn, and you will - which is what makes it so nice.
>
> I suggest you get a book too.
>
> Kind regards.
>
> BTW, how did you manage to setup X and all that without knowing
> *anything* about Unix ????

Ah well, I *do* have a UNIX book, I *can* create files with vi, and I
understand the FS too! I largely said what I did because when I first
tried to install RiscBSD, I had a lot of trouble and I couldn't
understand what people wanted me to do.