Subject: Re: Hard drives & cdrom problems
To: Andrew Garrard <awg@art.co.uk>
From: Mike Clark <mrc7@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/03/1997 13:52:14
On Fri 03 Oct, Andrew Garrard wrote:
> [ Regarding the observed hanging of the RiscBSD boot sequence when one of
> the old Cumana CDs with the botch board is used on the internal interface
> with large Maxtor drives as the master ]
>
> On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Rob Leadbeater wrote:
>
> > I'm not too sure whether this is specific to Maxtor. I've got one of
> > the original Cumana CD's with the I/F board and a Quantum Fireball
> > 3.2GB. I can only get RiscBSD to boot (ie find the HD) if I disconnect
> > the interface from the IDE chain.
>
> Hmm. Has to be said that the drives that I've tried that have worked have
> all been under the 2Gb mark, and the one that fails is larger (although
> the RiscBSD partitions aren't) - that may have something to do with it.
> Steve's failing drive is also a 3.2Gb. Or it may be a coincidental shared
> incompatability with the drives, of course. A friend's drive, which I
> believe is a 1.7Gb Fireball, *does* work, though.

I've got an origional Cumana CD and a Quantum Fireball 3.2GB. RiscBSD boots
fine on my machine. I've allocated 2.1GB to RiscOS and the rest to RiscBSD.

If it helps I'm using bootloader version 2.87 and voy-4956

Mike Clark,                        <URL:http://www.path.cam.ac.uk/~mrc7/>
--
 o/ \\    //            ||  ,_ o   M.R. Clark, PhD. Division of Immunology
<\__,\\  //   __o       || /  /\,  Cambridge University, Dept. Pathology