Subject: Re: Hard drives & cdrom problems
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Garrard <awg@art.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/03/1997 11:35:17
[ Regarding the observed hanging of the RiscBSD boot sequence when one
of the old Cumana CDs with the botch board is used on the internal
interface with large Maxtor drives as the master ]

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Rob Leadbeater wrote:

> I'm not too sure whether this is specific to Maxtor.
> I've got one of the original Cumana CD's with the I/F board and a
> Quantum Fireball 3.2GB. I can only get RiscBSD to boot (ie find the HD)
> if I disconnect the interface from the IDE chain.

Hmm. Has to be said that the drives that I've tried that have worked
have all been under the 2Gb mark, and the one that fails is larger
(although the RiscBSD partitions aren't) - that may have something to
do with it. Steve's failing drive is also a 3.2Gb. Or it may be a
coincidental shared incompatability with the drives, of course. A
friend's drive, which I believe is a 1.7Gb Fireball, *does* work,
though.

> RiscOS also takes a while to boot if the CD is connected (it just sits there
> for around 30 seconds before I get any HD activity), but it does work.

Really? Odd - I have to say that mine doesn't exhibit that behaviour
(my RISC OS boot sequence is around the ten second mark).

> I think its probably down to some strange semi incompatibility between
> the HD and CD. I'll have to borrow a proper ATAPI CD to see if that will solve
> the problem.

*Nod* - if you find that works, I'd be interested to know.

--
Andrew W. Garrard           Advanced Rendering Technology Ltd.
Graphics Programmer         Mount Pleasant House, 2 Mount Pleasant