Subject: Re: Hard drives & cdrom problems
To: RiscBSD <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Garrard <awg@art.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/01/1997 12:54:07
On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, A.S.MCGough wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Andrew Garrard wrote:

> > I, too, have a Maxtor (mine's a 2.7 Gb) as a master and one of the
> > dual-speed Cumana CD-ROMs with a botch board (the kind Acorn were
> > shipping for a while, I think) as a slave, on the internal interface.
> > They work fine as a combination under RISC OS, but RiscBSD, as in your
> > case, hangs when trying to probe the CD.
>
> Mine's the acorn one without the botch board.

Ah, interesting; I assume for now that it works in the same way,
rather than being an atapi or anything helpful like that.

> > Until recently, my solution was to build a new kernel, and tell it not
> > to probe the second IDE (mail me if you want my old kernel, although
>
> What changes did you make to the kernel?

I don't have the machine here, but basically in the config file for
the kernel you're building there should be something like:

wdc0    at mainbus? base 0x002107c0 irq 9
wd0     at wdc? drive ?
wd1     at wdc? drive ?

- or the latter two may be replaced by a line looking like 'wd? ...'.
If you remove the wd1 case (or replace wd? with wd0) then the kernel
should stop trying to probe for the second drive. At least, that's how
I did it.

> > - and for the record, it seems that the botch board is the problem,
> > not the drive itself.
>
> In my case without a botch board it still has the same problem.

It may be that the drives shipped by Acorn have the botch internally
(assuming that's how they work) - having the board in place but
unplugging the drive still doesn't allow RiscBSD to work for me.

> As an experiment tonight I replaced the CDROM (temporarily) with a
> pioneer 24 speed atapi cdrom drive. RiscBSD booted without any problem.
> So it definatly seems to be a quirk of the kernel code not recognising
> some imperfection in the cdrom's driver.

*Nod* - that confirms my diagnosis with another atapi. But I should
stress that it also seems to be specific to having a Maxtor drive as
the master - Connor and Quantum drives have been seen to work fine.
Can you try putting your old drive back in and booting a kernel? You
don't actually need to do anything to the drive itself, so you could
load an installation kernel as shipped; if it gets as far as asking
you about partitioning the drive, it will have got past the CD probe.

> If someone (from the kernel team?) could advise me as to which files are
> of relevence for probing the ide chain, I'll take a look at the code this
> weekend and see what I can spot. (the file /usr/src/sys/arch/arm32/mainbus/wd.c
> would sping to mind??)

I wondered about doing this myself, but never got around to it - I'd
help now, but I no longer have access to a box with a non-beta
kernel, so I don't have the sources kicking around any more.
If you manage to get anywhere then I'd be grateful - good luck.

--
Andrew W. Garrard           Advanced Rendering Technology Ltd.
Graphics Programmer         Mount Pleasant House, 2 Mount Pleasant