Subject: Re: CD Rom Drivers....
To: Bob <Bob@delactst.demon.co.uk>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/01/1997 10:52:54
Bob writes:
 > Hi
 >
 > I had the same problem when I installed it on my 200M Conner that
 > came with the machine.  On bootup the all of the devices are
 > detected except the CD ROM However, it does find the ATAPIBUS.
 > I've tried mounting the cdrom with all

Hmmm. After the atapibus attach, are there any cdrom drive
attachments.

 > of the drivers: cd0a cd1a wcd0a etc. that came with my
 > distribution, but none work.  I've used mknod on cd0a and wcd0a,
 > but when I came to find MAKEDEV it was missing.

The atapi cdrom will be acd0a (soon to be cd0a), unfortunately I can't
remember the major number of the acd driver. Mark ???

 > I use Unix at work so I am not a Unix virgin, but installing and configuring
 > a system is all new stuff so perhaps I am missing something more obvious. A
 > friend at work who is an experienced Linux user suggested that I am missing
 > the correct driver for my particular cd drive.

If the CDROM drive follows the ATAPI spec then the acd driver should
be able to fly it. No drive specific driver is required.

 > I'd really like to solve this
 > problem because I don't relish the prospect of creating 40+ installation
 > floppies, but lack of experience has let me run into a brick wall.
 > Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hope this helps a little.

 > Thanks in advance
 >
 > Bob

Cheers Scott

--
Scott Stevens, Network Services Group, Computer Centre, Imperial College
"We've gotta rebuild the human race. As quickly as possible. D'you wanna