Subject: Re: Where is .bashrc?
From: Paul Whiting <paul@whtng.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/20/1997 11:58:37
On Fri 19 Sep, RiscBSD Mailing List wrote:
> On Fri 19 Sep, Paul Whiting wrote:
> > I have been told countless times to alter my .bashrc file.
> > But where is it? I tried 'find / -name .bashrc' to no avail.
> > I also created '.bashrc' in / with contents 'echo test'.
> > When I started bash, I got no 'test' message so I assume
> > that this did not work.
> >
> > Or is it that I am not only barking up the wrong tree,
> > but in the wrong forest altogether?
>
> The .bashrc file is in the $HOME directory of your users (your $HOME
> I guess in this case)...
>
> although by default, there isn't normally one there !
>
> Just simply create one with your favorite editor.
>
> for example, my user is in the directory /home/richard
>
> so I created a /home/richard/.bashrc file

I typed 'echo $HOME' which produced

/root/Paul

which was my pwd, so then I typed 'vi .bashrc'
'a'
'PATH="/bin:/sbin: (etc.)'
'export PATH'
'PS1=">"'
I then hit the Escape key, and typed
':wq'
'ls -a' revealed that the file had been created.
Then I typed
'logout'
'paul' and my password.
I don't think that this worked though as 'env' showed a very short PATH,
and the prompt was 'bash#'

Where did I go wrong?