Subject: Re: Newbie - su'ing to root problem / groups
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Wain <pwain@nc.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/19/1997 18:48:54
--=_NCMail_yGIM7D

Hi,

You need to add yourself to the group 'wheel' in /etc/group

The line would read something like:

     wheel:*:0:root,richard

Note that 'su' doesnt check the default gid (group id) when su'ing to root,
thus you explicitly need to add each user who can su to root in the /etc/group
file. The list of users is comma separated. (see also "man group")

P.

--
This mail was sent from a 233MHz StrongARM NC

--=_NCMail_yGIM7D

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Reply</TITLE>
<BASE HREF=3D"file:">
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P>Hi,<BR>
<BR>
You need to add yourself to the group 'wheel' in /etc/group<BR>
<BR>
The line would read something like:<BR>
<BR>
&#9;wheel:*:0:root,richard<BR>
<BR>
Note that 'su' doesnt check the default gid (group id) when su'ing to =
root, thus you explicitly need to add each user who can su to root in =
the /etc/group file. The list of users is comma separated. (see also &=
quot;man group&quot;)<BR>
<BR>
P.<BR>
<BR>
<PRE>&gt; Hi,
&gt;
&gt; I've run into a problem where I've created a user on the system (=
funny enough
&gt; called 'richard') and set the user up to be a member of group whe=
el since I
&gt; read that I have to be member of that group to allow me to su to =
root.
&gt;
&gt; Unfortunately, when I try and su, I get an error message saying t=
hat I am
&gt; not a member of a suitable group to su to root with...
&gt;
&gt; any ideas on what I've done wrong and what I should do ?
&gt;
&gt; how do I go about adding new groups and making users members of m=
ultiple
&gt; groups - can I ?
&gt;
&gt; Cheers,
&gt;       Richard
&gt;
&gt; --
&gt; Richard J N Barrass BSc.
&gt; Knight Software Solutions.
&gt; Private email to: richard@knight-soft.demon.co.uk
&gt; Website: http://www.knight-soft.demon.co.uk/
&gt;
&gt;
</PRE></P>
</BODY>
</HTML>
This mail was sent from a 233MHz StrongARM NC
</pre>

--=_NCMail_yGIM7D--