Subject: Re: Struggling with RiscBSD: Update
To: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
From: Scott Ashcroft <ashcroft@campus.bt.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/17/1997 10:46:28
On Wed 17 Sep, Ale Terlevich wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Scott Ashcroft wrote:
>

> > Learning to program the bourne shell is important though as its best
> > for scripts (you know it will always be there). Don't even think about
> > csh scripting.
> >

>   I do keep hearing this, and as a non computer scientist (I just (ab)use
> UNIX systems all day long) noone's ever told me why!
>
>   So I'm asking you all now, What's wrong with (t)csh scripting?

File descripter handling, problems with security using system to run
other commands (OK all shells kind of have this but csh is worse),
no real support for case (switch), lack of compatability between
different boxes unless you compile your own etc. etc.

> I mostly use perl for anything complex anyway. Nothing wrong with that is
> there? :)

No. I use it all the time.

>   Ta,
> 	Ale.

Scott (Who might say something about RiscBSD at some point)

--
Scott Ashcroft		ashcroft@campus.bt.com