Subject: Re: Struggling with RiscBSD: Update
To: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/17/1997 10:29:18
Ale Terlevich writes:

 > On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Scott Ashcroft wrote:
 >

 > > Learning to program the bourne shell is important though as its best
 > > for scripts (you know it will always be there). Don't even think about
 > > csh scripting.
 > >

 >   I do keep hearing this, and as a non computer scientist (I just (ab)use
 > UNIX systems all day long) noone's ever told me why!
 >
 >   So I'm asking you all now, What's wrong with (t)csh scripting?
 >
 > I mostly use perl for anything complex anyway. Nothing wrong with that is
 > there? :)

There's nothing wrong with csh scripting but from a portability
perspective sh(1) tends to be the one to use. Not all systems have
tcsh/perl installed. Although csh is usually available...

 >   Ta,
 > 	Ale.

Cheers Scott

--
Scott Stevens, Network Services Group, Computer Centre, Imperial College
"Ah, we certainly know what goes into good beer in Ankh-Morpork," he